Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fighting Start-itis

I generally have 3-4 projects going at any given time. You'd think that would be more than enough to keep me entertained. Yet, I'm not. I'm bored. And I want to start about 5 million projects right now.

The problem is, two of the projects I have going have deadlines, and one more (an Aran sweater) is not going to be much use if I don't get going on it before it gets warm. The main two I need to get done are for a co-worker though. She's having a baby in April (shower is in about 2 weeks though) and I've been making these for her:They're quick and mildly entertaining, and I'm making them in 3 different sizes so hopefully I won't get too bored. However, the real problem is the project I was HIRED to do. I really should have known better. Really really really. I hardly ever take orders, and that's no coincidence. Even worse, I hate knitting giant squares, and I'm well aware of that. I think they're impossibly boring, and they tend to lead to either pointed ignoring or throwing the WIP at the wall. Yet, somehow, I was talked into making a BABY BLANKET, the very definition of "big boring square", for said co-worker.

Now, the thing about big boring squares is that they're easy. So at least they should be fast, right? Except that this is me, and I'm reeeeally good at pointedly ignoring things I don't like. Even though I've been a diligent little knitter and picked up the blanket almost every day, it still doesn't have any apparent interest in being done. I've been working on it since friggin' Valentine's Day, and it's only half-way. Even though I've tried really hard to be good and get this sucker done, my poor bored subconcious is fighting it every step of the way. I've begun taking the blanket to work so that I can knit at lunch in a desperate attempt to get it DONE already. Unfortunately, my subconcious being the little stinker that it is, I've managed to forget the blanket at work 2 Fridays in a row. I swear my subconcious is doing it on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment